21 January, 2009

A Small Tally

Books Currently in my Knit Picks Cart:

Knitting in Plain English by Maggie Righetti
Last-Minute Knitted Gifts by Joelle Hoverson
Folk Shawls by Cheryl Oberle

Things I Have Cast On in the Last Week: 4

Things From Above Tally That Are Viable Knitting: 1

Skeins of Yarn in my Knit Picks Cart: 0. You read that right, zero. So hah!

I am waiting on my student aid check to come in and then those books will be mine, all mine. In the mean time, I continue to truck away on my Seamless Yoke Sweater. Miles of stockinette in the round are soothing, but not necessarily good photo fodder for the blog. So lest you think I am neglecting you, dear reader, allow me to set your mind at rest. There have been pictures. And I shall show them to you.

First, Jasmin and I went lens shopping this Saturday. I got an inexpensive low-light lens for my Canon Rebel XT and I am loving. it. Here are a few shots:

A friendly game of Settlers of Catan, in which I kicked everyone's butts. Just sayin'.

The skein of Pagewood Farms Denali sock yarn in "Forest Camo" that has been haunting my dreams - and is now mine!

I bought the Pagewood Farms yarn on Sunday at what I'm pretty sure will become a new Mecca for me: Bobbin's Nest Studio in Santa Clara. The owner seems to have a palette similar to mine, so I like a lot of the colors she chooses. After knitting there for awhile, we had to take off - except there was this fountain that looked SO cool in the setting sun. So we pulled over, hopped out and snapped some pictures in the spirit of our 2009 selves:



I also got back into spinning this week with a well-placed kick in the pants from Jasmin and her devilish ways. She showed me her new Golding spindle, which I tried and loved. Those things spin forEVer. And then, because I am maybe a masochist and might lean towards spinning cobweb lace on spindles, she showed me this little beauty:

Magpie Woodworks "Maggie" spindle, 30 g

Apparently Maggie and Jasmin never got along, but we took to one another perfectly and I've been messing about with some of the Crown Mountain Farms BFL I got in May. It's so nice to have a spindle that just spins and spins. I'm trying very hard not to engage in grand illusions about how much spindle spinning I will really do, but it's difficult to be rational when you're in love.

The spinning bug also encouraged me to pull out my neglected Sonata, and since Sunday I've finished one of three plies of some more CMF, this time in the super-wash merino colorway "Wish You Were Here." Those will be some cheerful socks, itellyouwhut.

Lastly, I cast on another pair of No-Purl Monkey socks in Fleece Artist's 2/6 sock yarn. They are also very cheerful:


I've also been working on my Marvelous Mingus socks, but they're not much further along than last time you saw them, so I'll let them marinate a little longer before I show them off again. Note the lack of finishing going on. Fear not, gentle reader. I'll get there.

OH! Brie, here's the shot of the Salina sweater from Rowan Vintage Knits. I think this purple would look FAB on you. Jasmin's mom is contemplating a KAL for this one - I'm trying to talk her into the purple as well.
Mine will be cooler than this with vintage buttons. And also it's green.

Until next time, remember. Be the water.


4 comments:

  1. That is a great shot of the fountain.

    I'm glad your passion for spinning has been re-ignited by my jilted Maggie. :) Spindle spinning may be more doable with a nice corrrrrrrmo...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Dude, busy much?! :) Yay for spindle spinning, I'm just slipping back into it too (on a new spindle!) I'd only been spinning on spindles @ the monthly knitoneone spinning meetup in Berkeley, need to get back into it since I'm on a tear buying them :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Bah, curse you! I had just talked myself out of the salina! And I was thinking about purple...

    You have been busy! Your photography is beautiful; I should have you take pictures of my knitting. I have given up my spinning until the kids get older, but reading your posts keep tempting me to get back into it.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Why another purple? I was thinking more antique rose. So, when are we starting?

    ReplyDelete