14 March, 2010

Gear Change!

Remember that tiny needles lace obsession I've been talking about? Well, I found the perfect outlet.

Wedding shawls.

Most of my friends who are my age got married a couple of years ago. There was a time when I went to 6 weddings in one summer - my solitary summer wedding outfit got a LOT of wear. Come to think of it, I could have dressed it up with a shawl... hmm. Anywho, this year all my friends who are a few years younger than I am are getting married. My cousin Valerie is first in May, and then my Darling Nadia's turn comes at the end of August.

Nadia's wedding shawl has been at the back of my mind for a long while. She had a wedding planned three years ago - a super-huge doozy of a Pakistani wedding with 600 guests and 13 bridesmaids (!!!!) - but it didn't pan out. This time, however, it will, and it'll be smaller with fewer girls to wrangle into dresses, then saris, then dresses again (if necessary). But my Nadia still needs a wedding shawl. After one other person, she's my dearest friend, and due to geographical proximity I see her more often than I see Malia!

However, Val comes first. I've been poring over patterns, the limitations (HAH) of my stash, and trying to match up the best pattern and color combination I can pull off by the end of May. I also took into consideration that Val is from the South American side of the family - we are both half-Amazonian, which accounts for a lot. We also have the same patron "saint" in Lucrezia Borgia, that paragon of sass and power. But it's the South American quality I wanted to capture, and I found it in a German pattern. Here's the beginning:

"Lyra" by Herbert Neibling
Knit Picks Lace Weight, "Bare"
3.25mm needles

I'm only about 11 rows in, but I'm enjoying it so far!

Also, Mr. Darcy would like me to tell you all that he is willing to give headshot lessons to those of you who might want them:




Not too shabby for an alien, am I right?